Below you will find recommendations regarding music,books and other miscellaneous information that may be of use to you. Ken would credit the following with having helped keep his feet on the ground and head in the clouds
Music and Chants
· The Gayatri Mantra is the one I chant very often. It is considered to be the’Mother of the Mantras’. The lively version I often chant is available from www.sacha-cd.com; order code is G04. There are many others widely available;this one is particularly energetic and melodious. Its lyrics are (phonetically) “Om buur bhuva swaha, Tatsavitur varaeneeyam, Bargo devasya dee mahee, Dyo yo nah prachodyat.”
A peaceful rendition of it is by Deva Premal on her cd “More than Music”, a more funky variation on her cd Mantra Lounge.
· Another Nicherin Buddhist mantra we I recommend is daimoku; “Nam myoho renge kyo”. It can be accessed by contacting sgi-uk.org. They sell a range of books pertaining to this “Lotus Sutra”.
· “More than Music” by Deva Premal includes a lovely chanting booklet.The energetic Hari Om,Siva Om( nice accompaniment to dynamic Yoga sessions) and“Gayatri” mantra- as mentioned above- are on this wonderful cd. Other recommended chanting cds by Deva Premal are Embrace (lively Ranga Day and healing Jaya ta Om Bekanzay) and Love is Space (All tracks).All available from prabhumusic.com
· More beautiful chants are available from www.ramsinghmusic.com. His cd 11 has the beautiful Suniai which is a wonderful Heart opening chant. His cd Mirror of the Soul has the lively interactive chant Hari Govinde( 11 minute chant ).
· Jack Harrison’s “The Enchanted island” gives a gloriously Celtic slant on the Yoga Sanscrit chants, including many of the Epitemy Chants. It is available from www.jackharrison.com
· A Hundred Thousand Angels is by Lucinda Drayton/blissfulrecords.com. This is a very special cd. It will bring out much Strength and Beauty in You(the Angel
· The Lover and the Beloved by Donna De Lory; tracks 3 He Ma Durga,Jay Jay Ma and 6 Samba Sadashiva are movingJ…
· The cd Grace by Kundalini Yogini, Snatam Kaur has the wonderful Heart resonating chant Ong Namo,Guru Dev Namo . Sing and chant this often enough and Love will be yours
· The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran is a most profound and amazing book of wonderful insights and spiritual interpretations ;I often quote and recite from this.
· For a more rebellious impression of Spirituality investigate the writings of Osho; I would recommend “Gold Nuggets” and “Meditation, the first and Last freedom”. Zen Tarot cards are by Osho from the www.osho.com. Recommended Meditations by Osho are Dynamic, Kundalini and Nadabrahma- a Tibetan Full Moon Meditation and many other contemporary practices. You might even consider taking a trip to his ashram in Pune,west India J
· Diana Cooper has a range of books relating to our Cosmic Reality, including 2012. Light on the Spiritual laws comes ell recommended by Thora…
· Siddartha by Herman Hesse is an easy read; a spiritual classic!
· Anastasia by Vladimir Megre is a very interesting tale about a chance meeting with a cosmically aware young woman, living wild in the Taiga forest of Siberia. If staying close to the earth and growing food from her is your thing this book will share many wonderful and bizarre ideas with you.
· Food as Medicine by Todd Caldecott is a brilliant book about all aspects of ‘the theory and practice of food’. Although coming from an Ayurvedic/Yogic perspective this is a brilliant well researched book on many aspects of food preparation,consumption and the detoxification from. He uncovers many of the myths about what appear to be modern healthy approaches to veganism,raw foodism, vegetarianism, etc. You might be intrigued by the approach he presents.
· Also on the practical side of physical health, Jason Vale’s books are of great inspiration and benefit. His first book “Slim for Life” has been updated in the last couple of years and succinctly carries Jason’s message. Jason is very clear in his message. He has been very inspiring to me over the years- I hope it will be for you too.
· Dear God, what’s happening to us is a most bizarre cosmic book. If you believe in the presence of dark forces, or if you at times feel somewhat possessed by dark forces you might find this to be a very interesting/useful read. She does recommend a ritual that clears such energies. It is a very zany read. I am not suggesting it as Truth although I could not help but be curious.
· Peace for Life by Sandy Newbigging of the Mind Detox Method encompasses an excellent, interesting and practical approach to realizing Truth.
· The Power of Now by Ekhart Tolle is a classic of contemporary Spirituality. His book Stilness Speaks is maybe more aesthetic, A New Earth possibly his most exciting book. Beware of mistakingly trying to think your way into realizing what he suggests as Truth.
· Cutting straight to Absolute teachings in terms of Truth, I Am That by Nissargadatta Maharaj includes a series of dialogues with the Master. Pointers by Ramesh S Balsekar includes commentary on dialogues with the master. Do not expect to understand either of the above books. To be exposed to their subtle wisdom is enough. They are subtle and brilliant reminders to trust that Truth is what is. “It is what it is you might say”…
· “All of man’s(woman’s) difficulties arise from the inability to sit alone in a quiet room without distraction”. I do not know the source of this quote. It is a wonderful line. Despite all of the above reading suggestions; to spend less time reading and more time just sitting, allowing whatever needs to arise do so. Patiently observe it as it dissolves…………… Just Sitting.
· Another bizarre approach – if you Love a particular teacher- is to put their book under your pillow when you sleep. You may then become infused with that Love and the authors energy in return, without having your mind polluted with their ideas suggestions or techniques, all of which ultimately lead to confusion. You already are and consist of everything that is required. Simply come home or rather realize that you are at home in an Absolute sense.
· If you would like to be given a very practical down to earth approach to spirituality I would highly recommend that you google talks by Fr. Tony De Mello s.j. His book Awareness is an absolute gem and is dressed in practical yet such profound wisdom. Take a look at some of his talks on and is dressed in practical yet such profound wisdom. Take a look at some of his talks on Youtube(“On Waking Up”,”Prayer” and “Love”
· www.greatfreedom.org shares a teaching which is the ancient epitimy Tibetan Dzogchen- the Yoga/practice of Rest. It is phrased in contemporary language which you may well find totally nonsensical and bewildering. Strangely this is the point of the Epitimy/Beyond Teachings. Other forms of such teachings are Taoist, Zen and Yoga Advaita Vedanta. A word of warning; they will twist,convolute and bend your logical mind (‘wreck your head’); that is the goal- I highly recommend them
· If you are reasonably adept in the practice of lively and energetic Yoga would like to develop a morning Astanga practice , you can access a great dvd by the grandmaster of this practice. He is Sharath Rangaswami (the grandson of the original master Pattabi Jois). Sharath’s dvd is available from www.yogamatters.com
· Kenny’s personalYoga andTai Chi dvds + Yoga Nidra “ Resting in the Twilight Zone cd are available to buy by contacting me at firstname.lastname@example.org
· It is well worth having your Yoga mat. I would recommend purchasing a mat made from natural materials. My choice of Yoga mat is the Manduka Black mat. It is expensive yet top of the range and will last for years. It is ideal for home use ( it is maybe a bit heavy for carrying to Yoga classes???-up to you) It is supplied by www.sukhayoga.co.uk. Nicky the proprietor of this business became inspired to create it while on a Juice retreat.
· Above all remember the thought of filling in the blank “I Am______________”, as you wish. In time or even immediately could it be that your Intelligence that is beyond you will do this for you; are you bewildered????? GreatJ
· Pdf files with pics of suggested Ken’s Yoga sequences and the 5 Tibetans are now available via email. Contact email@example.com and I can send them to you. We also have copies of “Journey to Tranquility” for sale. So there ya have it for now; that just about covers enough resources to enjoy for quite a while.
Good Luck,God Bless…
Love,Love, Love XXX Ken